Wednesday, August 01, 2007

this is not a movie review... ratatouille



Admittedly, I am not a food junkie except maybe for it's function to the human body- to nourish (and yes, for work, when I'm styling edible materials for Yummy magazine...)

Having lunch or dinner can only be taken on a table if I am with somebody, or else it will just be one of those 'to go' meals I can eat inside a cab or while watching TV. I don't  cook unless necessity calls for it. My kitchen is already converted into a stockroom. 

It was this evening when we watched Ratatouille and of all creatures, it was a rat that made me re-think the purpose of the kitchen in my house. To know the taste and smell of each ingredient made me remember my dad trying to name each item added to the Binakol when we were eating in Iloilo some years ago. To know the flavor of each and trying to combine them to form one experience made me realize that more than just the food, it is the sensation that goes with it that makes the cook an artist, a master, a god. 

It made me realize that preparing something to nourish the body is not just done for the sake of its purpose. It made me realize that the kitchen is one big studio to create an experience.

image from Disney


But Ratatouille is more than just that. One character that struck me most is Peter O'Toole's Anton Ego. In his critique voice over, 

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgement. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risked something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new."

When I was in design school, I would always say, "I'm a better critic than a designer." It made me re-think on passing judgements on other people's work. Thank goodness, I have not earned the reputation of being such. Or have I? 

2 comments:

Apol said...

GWYN, eating inside a cab is SO sad! Even when I'm alone I like to cook. It's very very creative (the cooking, not the being alone). Try it, you'll like it :)

decorator said...

i still have to look for a much bigger kitchen. and not my stockroom right now...


when i was reading your comment, i actually thought being alone is creative... hehehhehehe